The Grim Statistics of Illiteracy *
- Forty-two million adult Americans can't read.
- Fifty million adult Americans are limited to a 4th or 5th grade reading level or can only recognize a few printed words.
- The number of illiterate adults is increasing by 2.25 million people each year.
- The number of illiterate adults includes nearly 1 million young people who drop out of school before graduation - 400,000 legal immigrants - 100,000 refugees - 800,000 illegal immigrants - and 20% of all high school graduates.
- Illiterate people are missing out on 237 billion dollars total each year in money that they could be earning if they knew how to read.
- The total amount of money being spent on illiteracy by the federal government is at more than ten billion dollars each year, which grows steadily.
|* Source: Education Portal (September 2007)|