Another Friday is here and they seem to be coming at a quicker pace each week. Note the Upcoming events and the inclusion of Thanksgiving Break and the end of the fall and start of the spring semester.
Tennis to State
Our Tennis team, fresh off of a Runner-Up finish as a team last weekend, begins State matches today in the KC Metro. Read more, here.
Update on the Arts
While sports tend take the lead in the fall season, we are beginning to wind those seasons down. Meanwhile, Debate is getting rolling into the heart of their season, Band entertained us with a fantastic performance at last Friday's homecoming game, our Choirs will be sharing their work this fall right after P/T Conferences on the 28th, and Oliver! rehearsals are ongoing, often spilling over into the commons, giving us a sneak peak at what promises to be an excellent show the middle of next month. Be sure to note the Upcoming Dates below so you can be sure to catch our kids excellence when on stage.
A week from this coming Monday and Tuesday are Parent/Teacher Conferences at Sterling Junior/Senior High School. Conferences are from 4:00 until 7:00 on both the 28th and 29th.
We encourage you to come out and visit with your student's teachers and, if you haven't already done so, take a few minutes to view the Apollo display in the HS Commons, which is here on loan from the Kansas Cosmosphere through the end of October. We will also be available to answer your questions about our App, getting logged onto GoEduStar to access your student's grades and attendance, or any other issue with which we can be of assistance.
We have a closed campus when it comes to lunches. Students are asked to either eat a school lunch or bring their lunch to school. Microwaves are available to students to warm food brought from home. We don't allow students to leave during the lunch hour without administrative permission, nor do we allow outside food to be delivered to the building. While that may seem restrictive, we do this out of respect for those who prepare food and serve it daily, while still allowing students to bring food from home in those instances when they need or want something different than what is being offered.
90+% of our absences are due to illness and appointments. When your student is ill, we ask that you please notify us by either calling (278-2171) or emailing (firstname.lastname@example.org). Unless you receive a letter from us indicating differently, you merely need to let us know your student will not be in school. If your student will be absent due to an appointment, we ask that your student provide our office a note from the medical professional upon return (you can also have the medical office email the note to email@example.com).
For all other absences, simply call us and we'll work with you to ensure your student has the necessary support to make up missed work. As far as school-related absences are concerned, our standard practice is that assignments should be requested ahead of the date of absence by the student and should be completed upon return.
Sterling USD 376 App
If you didn't receive a push notification about today's Friday Focus, be sure to download the Sterling USD 376 App on either the App Store or on Google Play.
Week of Oct 21-26 Events
- State Tennis, Prairie Village
- End of 1st Nine Weeks; 12:30 Dismissal
- HS V FB vs. Lakin, Smisor Stadium, 7P
- State Tennis, Prairie Village
- VB League @ Marion, 9A
- JV FB @ Sedgwick, 6P
- JH Basketball Parent Meeting, SHS Commons, 6P
- Booster Club, SHS Commons, 7P
- JH VB HOA League Tournament, Here, 3P
- HS VB @ Hutch Trinity, 4P
- Learning Communities, Students dismissed at 12:30
- Mock Interview Day, Juniors & Seniors, Noon-3:30
- J-Teens Fall Dance (Junior High), SHS Commons, 7-9P
- NHS Induction, Sterling College, 7P
- Hutchinson Community College Visit, Hutchinson, 8:45A
- HS V FB @ Southwestern Heights, 7P
- Regional Cross Country, Hutchinson, 11:20A Girls/Noon Boys
- Sub-State Volleyball, Ora Shields & South Gym, 2P
- 10/28-29: Parent/Teacher Conferences, 4P-7P
- 10/29: 7-12 Fall Vocal Concert, Auditorium, 7P
- 11/9: Band Mattress Fundraiser, Ora Shields, 9A-5P
- 11/14-16: Oliver!, Auditorium, 7P
- 11/27: Thanksgiving Vacation Begins
- 12/2: Classes Resume
- 12/20: Semester Ends, 12:30
- 1/6/2020: Classes Resume
May your Friday be beyond sensational and your weekend even better! Go Bears!